Leviathans’ Lieutenant’s Manual PDF Now Available
Leviathans is a steampunk game that simulates combat between warships that have taken to the air in an alternate history 1910. The king leviathans, battleships, are the largest vessels. Maneuvering in support are light cruisers, destroyers and other vessels. Will you captain your fleet for king and country, expanding your nation’s power and becoming legend? Or will you fall from the sky, forgotten?
You determine the outcome!
Spring 2010 will see the publication of this much anticipated box set game. The Leviathans Core Box Set will include the following:
- 3 rulebooks to ease players from the quick-start rules all the way to enhanced play for endless fun.
- 8 high-quality plastic miniatures representing ships from the British and French fleets.
- 12 Ship Cards that expand a player’s fleet, including a battleship, two light cruisers and three destroyers.
- 12 full-color Recognition Cards that correspond to each Ship Card, including the ship’s service history on the back.
- Leviathans Primer that details the alternate history of Leviathans, the technology behind the great ships, the eight major air powers of 1910, along with minor powers, and the growing hot spots of conflict around the world.
- 2 novellas throwing you directly into the action of the universe.
- Templates to aide game play.
- 2 18″ x 22″ board-game quality maps, printed on both sides.
- 12 dice
Until then, however, the Lieutenant’s Manual is now available!
The Leviathans’ Lieutenant’s Manual is a 32-page PDF offering a complete introduction to the new, innovative Leviathans’ game system, including playing maps, ready-to-cut-out-and-use Ship Cards and counters. All a player needs to bring to the table are a few sets of polyhedral gaming dice (D4, D6, D8, D10 and D12s) and in minutes they’ll be scouring the skies at the helm of several thousand tons of war-forged metal looking for the tail-tale sign of enemy smoke on the horizon.
In August 2009 Catalyst Game Labs pushed the boundaries of publishing as the first to simultaneously release a major role-playing game publication—Eclipse Phase—under Creative Commons and through the traditional distributions network.
Catalyst continues to push the boundaries of publishing as the first major publisher to release a miniatures game under Creative Commons with the first roll out of Leviathans’ books in the Lieutenant’s Manual. Additional PDF releases will occur in the coming weeks and months leading up the release of the box set game next spring.
While Leviathan’s is steampunk in flavor, no single definition covers the genre anymore; instead, it is a collage of concepts and ideas, even if the core remains the same. This type of “mix it and make it yours” mentality fits flawlessly with Creative Commons, allowing anyone that loves steampunk to take Leviathans and make it theirs in what ever way they desire.
If you receive this PDF from a friend who shared it in accordance with the Creative Commons license, and you like it, please support the cause by buying the PDF. This is still an experiment and we hope to make it work. If it does, the success of Leviathans—along with the growing success of Eclipse Phase—may very well affect the way all game companies go about publishing games in the future. So if you like this direction, we need your support!