Art Development: Germans Part 1

It’s been a long, long times since I’ve been able to generate a blog post about art development…can’t tell you how awesome it is to have reached this place to start down this path again.

Germans. Digging back into my old, old files, I see that the very first concept sketch for what the German leviathans would look like was received from Doug Chaffee on April 8th, 2008. Wow…

German Sketch 1For those interested, if you want to check out the Gallery and click on either the French or British Sketch 1, you’ll see some similarities in the over-all design of the ship. Similarities we ultimately decided just wasn’t the type of look we were going for in Leviathans; as one example, the slopped top as though it was a cross between an ironclad/submarine.

German Sketch 2

The next iteration of the German look came in from Doug on April 14th, 2008…again, I keep wondering if those computer dates are right…. A lot of good changes made, but I still wanted some more massaging, especially the almost Tall Ship type of rigging.

German Sketch 3

The next iteration, which comes very close to what Doug finally turned in, came in on the 28th of April. If you compare it to the final British and French ships, you’ll see it really starts to capture the over-all feel I was going for in the game, as well as ensuring it has its own “German” feel.

Next post I’ll discuss the final stages that we went through for the sketches/illustrations Doug provided.

See ya next duty shift!

Randall

Neko_BijinNovember 30th, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I really like the crow’s nest on the first one.

grandresume.comDecember 1st, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Great project!)

UpgrayeddDecember 1st, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I much prefer the first sketch.

JohngeeDecember 2nd, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I’m looking forward to seeing more sketches to follow the evolutionary trends leading to the final product.

www.essay4less.comDecember 4th, 2012 at 12:48 am

Keep up the good work – for sure i will check out more posts.

Stormlion1December 4th, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Definatly like the look of the German ship, especially the prow mounted turret and the riveted armor look. Gives it a very predatory look. Here’s hoping to see some more navys (and once again I harp on)sketches, especially the US Fleet.

DerGhostleaderDecember 9th, 2012 at 10:20 am

Yeah, the Germans look not bad, but I would would like them to have more the typical “German look”, as the German Warships of WWI (and even in WWII) had a very specific shape. For example Seydlitz, Derfflinger and Von der Tann. All of those had a memorable shape which does not really resemble in those sketches.

Or in World War II Graf Spee, Bismark and Scharnhorst. The way Germany built its warships has even been somehow different and remarkably. I would like to see this way resembled in those ships.

But away from that: nice sketches.