Development Continued: Finalizing the Captain’s Box

So as we juggle things on the production end to determine what will be the next box we ship to print, I continued to iron out the list tidbits of the Captain’s Box.

For those who’ve been following me for a while, you’re well aware of this, but for some, this may be new. Originally the Captain’s Manual of “Enhanced Scenario” rules was simply going to be in the Core Box Set. Unfortunately, we crammed way, way too much stuff into the box as it is and we had to cut that completely, leaving us the chance to publish the Captain’s Box down the line.

Now a lot of the material was already done and playtested for some time. In fact, I’ve got a rough PDF of a first layout before the “cut” decision was made that contains the following rules (I didn’t think I’d covered this fully before…if I have, apologies…):Initiative (Expanded)
Fog of War Initiative
Steering Rolls
Elevation
Ramming (Expanded)
Rolling Maps
Stacking (Expanded)
Advanced Firing Arcs
Minimum Range
Breaking The Keel Roll (Expanded)
Clouds
Range (Expanded)
Rate of Fire
Visibility
Cargo Ships
Commanders
Crew Skill Ratings
Faction Abilities
Mountains
Wind

As most of you know by now, I’ll never leave anything along if I still have time to kick it and make it even cooler. As such, between the time the decision was made to cut the Captain’s Manual for a future release, and last fall, four additional rules had been added; some ideas from playtesters, one from myself and one from a player at a convention:

Breaking The Keel and SI
Critical Gun Battery Failure
Gun Battery Shockwave
Recoil

Right now there are two last rules that I like enough to fully develop, get playtested in the next few weeks and wrap up the whole box and get it ready hopefully for print for summer convention seasons.

The first is Repairs & SI; basically making repairs harder and easier based upon high or low SI numbers as a way to provide some great flavor, while also giving some benefits to the lower SI’d ships.

The last is Critical Hits. This is a pretty big one. Originally I had no intention of including them period, as it simply adds in a level of complexity that I felt wasn’t needed. And I certainly would never change my mind to include it in the Core Box Set. However, after kicking this around many times with numerous playtest groups, I’ve changed my mind and feel it can be a very cool addition to these optional rules that a lot of player groups may want to embrace. Right now it’s just a matter of making them work within the constraints of the current Ship Cards/rules system.

See ya next duty shift!

Randall

BlacknovaJanuary 14th, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Interesting update. Will the Captain’s Box contain any ship models, perhaps combine with the German/Italian Fleet (or another) or be a non-model box?

BearJanuary 14th, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Good range of rules options. Have you considered land based heavy AA batteries? Also, I hope the germans strength lies in accurate, long range gunnery as was the case with the navy. Thanks and keep up the good work.

WantecJanuary 15th, 2013 at 6:03 am

Looks like a good list, the TacOps/IO pattern lives on.

Will the Captain’s Box include templates for the clouds and/or mountains? Or will that be limited to a Hexpack-type product?

MarauderJanuary 15th, 2013 at 2:06 pm

While I suspect there won’t be any minis in this box (would love to be wrong), it would be super cool if there was another map and templates for clouds/mountains/whatever else would need a template.

JohngeeJanuary 15th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Well if we can’t get additional mini models in this new Captains Box, due out in summer [arrgh!] how about some more ships – via new cards ( different names for the vessels and a rearrangment of the mix of gun batteries, crew, armor, etc. )? Please, PLEASE, PULLEEEEZE!

CavaneJanuary 16th, 2013 at 1:53 pm

There’s gotta be something else. If it’s essentially a rulebook expansion, calling it the Captain’s Box would be a little silly. I’m pulling for a couple of Type 3′s, personally.

KarasuJanuary 17th, 2013 at 1:09 am

Scenarios. A fairly healthy dose if possible. One thing to keep a game going is to give it replayability, and one way to do that is variability. Currently our maps are all effectively identical, and the range of different units is orders of magnitude too small to give variability. The other option to make a game different would be scenarios.

CarlJanuary 19th, 2013 at 10:37 am

I am really looking forward to this. I think the environmental factors (elevation, wind, clouds, mountains, etc.) are going to provide the tactical complexity that will keep the game interesting for a long time to come.

Randall BillsJanuary 25th, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thanks for the great responses guys (well, except for the spam stuff…seems to be getting worse)…to answer one of the bigger questions, no, there will be no miniatures or maps in this. However, the clouds and mountains will be high quality punch out templates for placing on the board.

http://customresearchpaper.net/March 5th, 2013 at 2:19 pm

There’s gotta be something else.I am really looking forward to this

writersdriveMarch 11th, 2013 at 10:05 am

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. Keep it up of your great work.
plagiarismchecker

JacobMarch 19th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Hi, my name is Jacob and I’m the marketing manager at http://Dir.Datumza.com. We just launched our new directory and want to give good quality blogs the opportunity to get a totally free do-follow backlink to their web site. I have reviewed your web site and found that it is eligible to be included in our web directory. All you must do is head to http://dir.datumza.com and submit your website to be listed. No catch and no obligations, just a free do-follow backlink. Thank you and good luck. Jacob
This really is not spam. If it was, I could be the dumbest spammer for leaving my legitimate name and e-mail address. I want to invite you to obtain your free of charge do-follow one-way link on our premium directory. Check out http://Dir.Datumza.com and get your site listed for free. Cheers, Jacob Mason

www.personallawyer4u.comMay 7th, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Well done Admin. I really like the content of your blog. Seems like you spent considerable amount of time over the most recent posting as well. Well, I must say it has come out really well. Kudos to your brilliant concept. http://www.personallawyer4u.com

KiziJuly 22nd, 2014 at 1:17 am

If you still have no idea what this means, don’t worry about it, because you can always…