SteamCon V Battle Report

For the first time in over three years, I wasn’t able to attended SteamCon (a wonderful, Seattle-local convention that has embraced Leviathans from the moment I ran it with cardboard ships several years ago). While I was sad not to attend, luckily Alex and Andrew (part of our Demo Team) were able to not only run the game, but powered it up to a whole new level.

I’ll let them describe the game in their own words.

>>>>>>

We had the opportunity at Steamcon V in Seattle to run an 11 player, 37 ship battle, to test the viability of large scale fleet actions.

We believe that this is the biggest public demo game (by points) ever run on one table at a time, on the West coast. Randall has run a 40 ship battle, and Gen Con was a 38 ship (at one time) battle, although AFAIK our points were higher with a larger number of Battleships vs destroyers (still waiting to hear back for the exact details about Gencon).

We set up 2 battleship squadrons per side, with two mixed destroyer/light cruiser flotillas, and a pair of heavy cruisers.

BRITISH FLEET:

Destroyers:
Montpelier
Pelletier
Genadier
Gloire
Montcalm x 2

We started out with 15 mapboards, but later expanded to 19 boards, 3 x 6, with a couple of half-boards set up at the end. The two fleets were set up in a line on each long side, facing at an angle in opposite directions.

There were positions on each side, the battleship squadrons were in the #1 and #3 position, (from left to right) with a mixed cruiser/destroyer flotilla or in the #2 & #4 positions. A heavy cruiser was placed at the end of each battleship line, initially to provide cover for the rear of the line.

>>>>>>

Thanks to Alex and Andrew for running such an awesome event and to all those that participated. Hope to you see you next year!

See ya next duty shift.

Randall

ElliotteNovember 13th, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Cool to see so many larger ships used.

Are those names official? Or were they just made up duplicates for this event?

JohngeeNovember 15th, 2013 at 6:59 am

WOW! This is an awesome display of CGL’s “LEVIATHANS” potential. Too bad the map boards don’t all match up, as I can plainly see roads leading nowhere and rivers ending abruptly. This is only a minor inconvenience to a casual gamer, but a terrible eyesore to an old Grognard and Cartographer like myself. In addition, I see several new ship names listed (i.e. Vanguard, Victory, Gorgon, Cyclops, Bretagne, Provence, St. Naziere, Danton, Mirabeau, etc.). Are there NEW cards to correspond with EACH of these vessels? If so why aren’t they published as PDF or as purchasable mail order packs? And if there aren’t any new cards with slightly different stats via rearranged weapons, armor, and crew slot locations, THEN why not make an announcement that these will eventually become the names of new ships OR are the “officially” sanctioned names of “sister ships” of the appropriate class Lev’s. We, the fan base, could then at least run to Staples to reproduce and laminated the necessary copies of the cards of ships that are already in our possession. I view this recently press release as a “Big Fluffy Bun” that teases the appetite to want more. My final question is, “Where’s The Meat,” that is needed now to satisfy my voracious cravings?

Joshua's TinkerNovember 19th, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Ok so from what I’ve read on your report about the battle, there were also some ships that were featured on the poster that can with the starter pack, but the actual ships like the heavy cruisers and some of the other battleships were never built as figures. PLZ LET ME KNOW ASAP IF THOSE R OUT SO I CAN BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO BUY THEM BC I’VE BEEN DYIG TO HAVE THEM FOR ALMOST A YEAR NOW!!!!

Stormlion1November 19th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Very very nice. Now we just need the variants made into models, get the Germans and Italians made up and give me my US Fleet.
And you know what would be cool? A Janes Guide for Leviathans, so we can get names for ships in each class and maybe individual write ups with quirks and such.

Drake248November 20th, 2013 at 11:07 am

Really cool. Definitely reignites my anticipation for those new ships/ship classes to come out. Have you considered TeslaCon for the midwestern market? Might be a big hit there next year.

ElliotteNovember 20th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

@Stormlion1,

There is a thread in the forums that has been unofficially tracking this http://forums.monstersinthesky.com/index.php/topic,785.0.html

Lord CameronDecember 28th, 2013 at 12:41 am

>>>Cool to see so many larger ships used.

Are those names official? Or were they just made up duplicates for this event?<<>>Vanguard, Victory, Gorgon, Cyclops, Bretagne, Provence, St. Naziere, Danton, Mirabeau, etc Are there NEW cards to correspond with EACH of these vessels? <<<

Hi Guys, I was running this event at Steamcon.
No, these are not new ships, they are duplicates of the Paris, Jean Bart, Medusa or Leviathan. And I made up the names, they are not official, except for the "Cyclops" which I believe has been listed as a sistership to the Medusa

replica gucciMarch 10th, 2014 at 1:29 am

Morot chose yak hair because it has a coarseness and texture that is close to a real human beard. Adding in natural hair gives it a finer texture and allows for a believable transition from year to year. Only a few houses supply yak hair, however, and it had to be imported from Natural Fiber Technology in Boston to Montreal and Rome for the shoot.

EPMasonMay 17th, 2014 at 9:07 am

I greatly enjoyed that game. I’m the gentleman with a sword sitting in the first photo. The look on the frenchies’ faces when I sent the Beagle straight into their lines, guns blazing was so priceless. They kept expecting her to turn.

Thank you guys for hosting this event. It was absolutely top shelf.

friv 7June 26th, 2014 at 9:11 pm

With what can be provided to those who need and I believe that your website is good.